The Prosecutor General's Office (PGO) has raised charges against eight members of a drug trafficking network, arrested in possession of over nine kilograms of drugs.
According to the PGO, the Maldives Police Service (MPS) had apprehended members of a wide-spread drug trafficking network during an operation conducted from January 31st - February 7th 2020.
The PGO is also seeking to seize money from the suspected drug traffickers, in connection to over nine kilograms of heroin, more than four grams of cocaine and suspected drug trade money found during the search of ten homes and a number of vehicles.
The suspects have been charged under the Narcotic Drugs Act (17/2011) as follows:
- Arushadh Khalid (Allora, GDh. Hoadehdhoo); Trafficking in diamorphine
- Ali Zubair (Guleynooranmaage, GDh. Hoadehdhoo); Trafficking in diamorphine, Trafficking of Schedule 1 drugs
- Ahmed Sunainu (Irumatheege, GDh. Hoadehdhoo); Trafficking in diamorphine, Use of Schedule 1 drugs
- Ahmed Giyas (Madrit House, GDh. Hoadehdhoo); Aiding the trafficking of diamorphine
- Aslam Nazim (Ma. Violetmaage, Male' City); Trafficking in diamorphine
- Hussain Zaheen (Matharasmaage, L.Kalaidhoo); Trafficking in diamorphine
- Ismail Vishal (M. Dhaarulgaraaru, Male' City); Aiding the trafficking of diamorphine, Use of Cannabis
- Ahmed Imsah (Miskiydhoshuge, Lh.Naifaru); Aiding the trafficking of diamorphine
The PGO has requested the Criminal Court to seize MVR 1،535،110 (one million five hundred thirty-five thousand one hundred ten) and USD 146،731 (one hundred forty-six thousand seven hundred thirty-one) or a total of MVR 3،797،702 (three million seven hundred ninety-seven thousand seven hundred two) of suspected drug trade money under section 160 and 158(a) of the Drugs Act.